Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sascha my Love




On June 20,2008 we celebrated Sascha's 10th anniversary with us.

He was a gift from my husband, rescued by my Mom's no-kill animal shelter.

We had been running errands that day. Mark was watching the clock all day and said we had to be at the shelter by a certain time. When I asked why, he fed me an elaborate story about a friend of my Mom's who was starting a Beanie Babies collector's business. He was going to help her design some brochures and stationery to help her out and as a favor to my Mom.

We pulled up in front of the shelter and there were no other cars in the parking lot. He said the friend of my Mom's should be there any minute and made a quick call on his cel phone.

When he hung up he said it would be anytime now so we continued to wait.

After a very short time my Mom came out of the gate carrying a little fawn pug and held him out toward me. He was paddling in the air like he was trying to swim. I looked at him and told her he was very beautiful to which she responded "he's yours."

I looked at Mark who just nodded with a little smile on his face. We already had five dogs at home and he was the firm proponent of the philosophy that we were full. I could not quite take it in.

My Mom set the pug in my lap and we have been together ever since.

Someone had found him running down the middle of the street without any ID. He was advertised and never claimed by whomever let him get away.
After we had had him for some time we surmised that perhaps someone decided he was not the pug for them as he had a tendency to wet the bed when he was displeased with anything.

Perhaps in retrospect it was an early indication of his tendency toward bladder issues.

When Sascha was 5 he developed a blockage from bladder stones. He was rushed to the Animal ER. The next day he had surgery to remove the crystals and create an additional urinary opening so the remaining residue of the crystals would not block him again.

He recovered and has one more bout with stones since.

A prescription diet keeps it under control but I do have to monitor his trips outside to make sure he is not having trouble.

When I'm home, if he is awake, he is constantly under my feet. If I am holding any of the other dogs he grieves until he has reclaimed the position closest to me on the couch, the floor, or wherever I may be at the time. He will even lay his head on my foot while I stand at the counter fixing dinner.

I adore him and have explained to him he has to be around for a very long time. I am so grateful he found us.

1 comment:

martha said...

Kim, I just enjoyed reading your sweet and touching story of Sascha and how she came into your life. You are lucky to have each other!!